Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering
- Published: 05 May 2009
- Hits: 71726
The Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering (JTMAE) is ATMAE's on-line peer-refereed scholarly journal. It was published from 1984 through 2011 as the Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering, and was renamed the Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering as of January 2012. The JTMAE publishes peer-refereed scholarly articles involving research and applications, along with non-refereed informational articles. Our audience is Technology, Technology Management, and Applied Engineering faculty, students and professionals in both industry and academia. The JTMAE uses an electronic submission and review process. See the links below for complete information for authors, referees and JTMAE personnel. The JTMAE continually posts new articles in an annual volume, with 4 issues in each volume, posted in January, April, July and October.
- The JTMAE - Articles- Published JTMAE Articles, peer-refereed and non-refereed, listed in reverse chronological order starting with the current issue, also searchable by keywords and author's name.
- EBSCO Index: As of December 2009, JTMAE (now JTMAE) articles are indexed in EBSCO Publishing's worldwide Computer & Applied Science Complete database. The Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering entered into an electronic licensing relationship with EBSCO Publishing, the world's most prolific aggregator of full text journals, magazines and other sources. The full text of JTMAE & JTMAE articles can be found on EBSCO Publishing's databases.
- What's Published in the JTMAE?
- Acceptance and Rejection Statistics - Statistics regarding results of the review process papers submitted to the JTMAE.
- Author Information: Manuscript Guidelines, Submission and Review Process - Article categories, vetting criteria used to determine if a submission will be entered into the review process, review criteria, manuscript and submission requirements.
- JTMAE Editorial Panel & Referee Information- Roster of manuscript referees, manuscript vetting and review criteria, manuscript evaluation forms & submission information, brief summary of the review process and timelines.
- JTMAE Review Process Summary and Timelines.
- JTMAE Board & Editorial Panel - Documents of interest to JTMAE Board Members and the JTMAE Editorial Panel, and contact information.
- JTMAE Bylaws - New JTMAE bylaws were approved November 9, 2011 to change the name from the Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering to the Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering.
- JTMAE Author Index (1984-1998) - An index of all authors published in the JTMAE in Volume 1 through 14, published in hard-copy before the JTMAE went online-only in 1998.
- JTMAE Volume/Number Index (1984-1998) - An index of all articles, by Volume and Number, published in JTMAE in Volumes 1 through 14, published in hard-copy before the JTMAE went online-only in 1998.
- Questions? Contact the JTMAE Administrator, Dave Monforton, at the ATMAE office for more information. You can reach the journal administrator by phone at (734) 677-0720.
The website contains all JTMAE and earlier JTMAE articles published since Volume 15, Number 1 (November 1998.) Articles denoted as "reviewed" or "peer-refereed" were accepted through the JTMAE's double-blind peer referee process.
Find a JTMAE Article!:
- JTMAE Articles by Volume & Issue / Author Search - JTMAE articles listed chronologically beginning with the current Volume and Issue. Within each issue, titles are listed alphabetically by title. As links to the titles include author's names, you can also search for a specific author through this page.
- Search by Key Word - Topical keywords associated with individual articles. Each JTMAE article is identified by several of over 70 keywords. Scanning this list can help you find JTMAE articles in your field of interest.
The JTMAE publishes peer-refereed scholarly and research articles, along with non-refereed informational articles, that are of interest to Technology, Technology Management, and Applied Engineering students and professionals in both industry and academia. Peer-Refereed articles fit into four broad categories: 1) Applied Papers, 2) Research Papers, 3) Pedagogical Papers, and 4) Perspective (Meta-Analysis) Papers (e.g., sound literature reviews to update the state-of-the-art). Non-Refereed articles also cover Technology, Technology Management, and Applied Engineering topics; non-refereed articles are usually non-research pieces of importance to the readership, or articles that have some research basis but do not meet the criteria for review as a peer-refereed article. Appropriate content for non-refereed articles include book reviews, opinion pieces and editorials, reports on development and implementation of new programs and curricula, accreditation and certification information, and other topics of interest to the JTMAE audience.
For more information on appropriate content for peer-refereed and non-refereed articles, see the Submission and Review Process Information for Authors.
Return to Top
The Review Process, Manuscript Guidelines and Submission Guidelines
- ATMAE Membership: At least one author of a paper submitted to the JTMAE for possible review and publication must be an ATMAE member or join ATMAE before the review process begins. Authors may contact the ATMAE office at email@example.com to confirm ATMAE membership status. See the Membership section of the ATMAE Website for membership information and to join ATMAE or renew your membership. At the time a paper is accepted for publication, all authors must be ATMAE members or, in lieu of membership, authors may elect to pay an $100 publication fee.
- Is your paper topic a good fit for the JTMAE? Read the JTMAE Article Vetting Criteria - Expanded for Authors to determine if your paper's topic, style and content is a good match for review by the JTMAE. You can also look at the JTMAE articles that have been posted, skimming them or searching the Keyword index for papers relating to the same topics. The JTMAE Review Criteria may also provide further guidance.
- Preparing your paper: Read the JTMAE Manuscript Guidelines and prepare your paper accordingly prior to submitting a paper. Papers that do not comply with submission requirements will be returned to the author.
- Revising your paper: You must use the "Track Changes" feature in Word, so the Editorial Panel and Referees can easily understand how you addressed issues raised in the review process. Papers that do not comply with submission requirements will be returned to the author.
- Email submission: All submissions, either for peer-refereed or non-refereed consideration, must be submitted via email. You must follow the JTMAE Electronic Submission Guidelines to submit your paper to the JTMAE.
- Questions? Contact the JTMAE Administrator, Dave Monforton, at the ATMAE office for more information. You can reach the JTMAE Administrator by phone at (734) 677-0720.
The JTMAE uses a double-blind peer-review process for "peer-refereed" papers and each "peer-refereed" paper is submitted to three peer referees for comment and criticism. Before being sent to review, papers are vetted by the JTMAE Editorial Panel to determine if their topic and format fit the JTMAE and if they meet minimum content requirements for one of the four broad paper categories noted above. Most papers are returned to the author for revision after the first review and then go through a second review after the author makes revisions. The review process will usually take between four months and eight months to be completed; occasionally the process may take a full year. When published online as a JTMAE article, the cover page of each paper accepted through the peer-referee process indicates that the article was "peer-refereed."
- JTMAE Manuscript Guidelines: Find out how to format and submit a paper. This section provides all detail about preparing your paper for submission.
- ATMAE Membership: At least one authors must be an ATMAE member before the review process will be started. See the Membership section to use the electronic membership form.
- Papers that do not conform to submission guidelines will be returned to the author.
- The review process is completed in six to ten months in most cases.
Submit papers to the JTMAE via email. All correspondence and transfer of documents is done through email.
- How to Submit: Follow the JTMAE Electronic Submission Guidelines when you submit your paper. This section gives you all specs for proper email submission of paper and required information, along with the email link to submit.
Return to Top
JTMAE Referee Information:
The manuscript referees for the Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering come from the ranks of technology, technology management, and applied engineering faculty at academic institutions throughout the United States. All referees have at least five years of post-graduate experience and are assigned papers for review within their areas of expertise.
JTMAE Referees Roster: Current membership and institutional affiliations of the JTMAE Referees.
Editorial Panel & Referee Documents:
- The JTMAE Article Vetting Criteria provides guidance on necessary content of the different types of JTMAE papers. The JTMAE Article Vetting Criteria - Expanded for Authors provides more detailed questions for use by the Editorial Panel in evaluating whether a paper should be submitted to the review process.
- The JTMAE Review Criteria provide more specific requirements to guide referees in the review of a paper.
- Review Evaluation Forms: The four review forms are provided in Word and PDF form below. Use of the Word-based form allows referees to provide comments in an electronically-transferable form, via the "Comment" function.
Referee Document Submission to JTMAE Office:
Referees should submit review documents to the JTMAE Administrator, Dave Monforton, via email.
- Email Review documents to the JTMAE Administrator.
- Fax Review documents to the JTMAE Administrator: (734) 677-0046.
- NOTE on Timelines: The timelines listed are benchmarks that the JTMAE attempts to honor. Circumstances sometimes delay the process.
- Papers submitted by authors for peer-review are first vetted by the JTMAE Editorial Panel to determine if they meet topical, content and format thresholds for the review process (1 to 2 weeks from submission).
- Papers that are deemed to meet the thresholds are then entered into the review process and sent to three JTMAE referees for double-blind peer-review (1 week from Editorial Panel approval of paper for review).
- Reviews are due back from referees within 30 days of receipt.
- The JTMAE Administrator prepares and sends all review materials to the Editorial Panel (1 week from receipt).
- Based upon the reviews, the JTMAE Editorial Panel determines if a paper should be rejected, revised or accepted (1 to 2 weeks).
- If the decision is that a paper should be revised and returned for a second review, the paper is sent back to authors, who are given 60 days to complete revisions and return the revised paper (1 to 2 weeks from receipt of Editorial Panel decision by the JTMAE Administrator).
- Upon submission of a revised paper, the review materials and the revised paper are submitted to the Editorial Panel (1 week from receipt by JTMAE Administrator).
- The review materials and the revised paper are considered by the Editorial Panel; the Panel may decide to accept, accept on condition of specific revisions being made, send for second review, or reject the paper (1 to 2 weeks from receipt).
- If a paper is to be reviewed again, the JTMAE Administrator sends it to the referees who have 30 days to return their reviews (1 week from receipt by JTMAE Administrator of the decision of the Editorial Panel).
- Generally, most papers are recommended for revision, and most are reviewed twice; occasionally, a paper is deemed to require a second revision and is reviewed a third and final time upon submission of the second revised version of the paper.
- Final decisions on acceptance or rejection of all papers submitted are made by the JTMAE Editorial Panel.
- Papers submitted for consideration for "non-refereed" publication are submitted to the Editorial Panel (1 week from receipt).
- The Editorial Panel may make a decision on the paper (1 to 2 weeks from receipt) or assign it to one JTMAE referee for a recommendation on publication based on interest in the topic and readability of the paper.
- If a paper is assigned to a referee, the referee has 30 days to return their review.
Return to Top Return to Top
All articles posted in the journal that are denoted as "peer-refereed" have successfully gone through the double-blind peer referee process. A total of twenty three (23) papers completed the peer-referee review process from January 1 through December 31, 2013, and 9 (39%) were accepted for publication. Twenty one papers were submitted for consideration in 2013.
Beginning with 2009, the journal has posted statistics based on papers that completed the review process within the year. The tables below show the acceptance and rejection rate for the papers which completed the process in 2013, and for papers which were submitted in the 5 prior calendar years.
|JTMAE Papers Completing Peer-Review in 2013 - Accepted & Rejected||Percent|
|1 of 23 Accepted after First Review||4%|
|9 of 23 Accepted Overall||39%|
|14 of 23 Rejected or Withdrawn||61%|
|JTMAE Papers Completing Peer-Review in 2012 - Accepted & Rejected||Percent|
|5 of 24 Accepted Overall||19%|
|19 of 24 Rejected or Withdrawn||81%|
|JTMAE Papers Completing Peer-Review in 2011 - Accepted & Rejected||Percent|
|1 of 17 Accepted after First Review||6%|
|8 of 17 Accepted Overall||47%|
|9 of 17 Rejected or Withdrawn||53%|
|JTMAE Papers Completing Peer-Review in 2010 - Accepted & Rejected||Percent|
|2 of 27 Accepted after First Review||13.5%|
|9 of 27 Accepted Overall||33%|
|18 of 27 Rejected or Withdrawn||66%|
|JTMAE Papers Completing Peer-Review in 2009 - Accepted & Rejected||Percent|
|3 of 35 Accepted after First Review||8.6%|
|17 of 35 Accepted Overall||49%|
|18 of 35 Rejected or Withdrawn||51%|
|JTMAE Papers Completing Peer-Review in 2008 - Accepted & Rejected||Percent|
|1 of 29 Accepted after First Review||3.5%|
|13 of 29 Accepted Overall||45%|
|16 of 29 Rejected or Withdrawn||55%|
Return to Top
Pursuant to the JTMAE Bylaws, the ATMAE Executive Board appoints the Chair of the JTMAE Board; the remainder of the JTMAE Board and the members of the Editorial Panel are appointed by the JTMAE Board.
JTMAE Board & Editorial Panel Members.
Documents of Interest to the Editorial Panel and JTMAE Board:
- JTMAE Vetting Criteria (Expanded)
- JTMAE Review Criteria
- JTMAE Bylaws
- JTMAE Organizational Chart
- JTMAE Board - October 2013
- JTMAE Board - March 2013
- JTMAE Board - February 2103
- JTMAE Board - November 2012
- JTMAE Board - November 2011
- JTMAE Board - November 2010
- JTMAE Board - November 2009
- JTMAE Board - November 2008
- JTMAE Board - October 2007
- JTMAE Board - November 2006
Return to Top
The initial bylaws of the new Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering Board were approved by the NAIT Executive Board in November 2005 (NAIT was renamed ATMAE in 2009), the result of the efforts of the JTMAE Steering Committee appointed by NAIT's Executive Board in November 2003 to recommend changes to further professionalize and upgrade the JTMAE. The bylaws include a governing structure for an independent journal board, and sections dealing with an editorial panel, referees, topical guidelines, and information on the review process. The JTMAE Bylaws were revised in November 2010 for consistency with the transition to ATMAE, and again in November 2011 as the name of the journal was changed to The Journal of Technology, Management, and Applied Engineering (JTMAE).
Follow the link to download a PDF of the JTMAE Bylaws.
Questions about the bylaws and governance of the JTMAE may be directed to Dr. William Brauer, Chair of the JTMAE Board.